Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Arrrgh, Matey!

I've been creating like crazy around here, trying to get gifts done for Christmas - yes, it's worth it!
Anyway, I just finished Pete's Christmas present, and I'm having trouble not playing with it myself. Maybe blogging about it, will distract me enough, so I can get on with the rest of the gifts I need to make by Friday. (yes, it's worth it!)

I decided to make Peter a bag, for "pirating" - or for hunting treasures.
Here's his Pirate bag, made with scrap corduroy and lined with a used men's shirt:




Inside you'll find some extra special cargo:






I found a map at a local used book store for $1.00 + tax, and I just sewed it to double thick fabric, for easy rolling (as this is how pirates carry their treasure maps apparently). If I were a pirate I would make my maps tiny and laminate them, for easy traveling - but I guess that's not piratey enough these days.



I'm hoping to make a telescope and a compass to add to the bag too. And I like making the maps so much, I might add some to my shop and see what happens. I can't wait to see how he reacts to these maps (he's even been tearing apart road atlases to roll up the "treasure" maps in them!).

If I don't post before the holiday, I hope you have a very Happy Christmas, and are able to spend it with people who love you!
Jenn

1 comment:

Lovely Little Lovelies said...

ack! this is so good, jenn. i love the bag and the maps are seriously brilliant.

i have quite a few random maps if you need them.

pete is one lucky kid!